ALBUM Miles Kane 2nd Album 'Don't Forget Who You Are'

332 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

twinette, on 20 May 2013 - 9:05 PM, said:

queens of the stone age are doing the same for their new album...we can already listen almost all the songs!

A new marketing technique maybe... ^_^

Daft Punk released one song. Old school. :)

I just think you should give people an album to discover rather than give most of the songs out before releasing it, i just think it shortens the time you listen to the album - in my opinion of course, but hey what the hell do i know really. :lol:

Posted · Report post

Daft Punk released one song. Old school. :)

Yeah but that's because, even if it's daft punk, french are always late on everything :D  :p :P

Inhaler and Marine280395 like this

Posted · Report post

I guess that people who really listen to the SARM studio songs over and over, are the kind to buy the entire album ... I hope.  :)

Everything sounds amazing, can't wait to receive the album (vinyl edition, yeah).

Posted · Report post

The Youtube Link doesn't work for me. But I don't want to hear ist before I can hold it in my own hands :D

twinette likes this

Posted · Report post

The Youtube Link doesn't work for me. But I don't want to hear ist before I can hold it in my own hands :D

yeah great! you're part of the "strong club"  :D 2 different schools... :lol:

Posted · Report post

I'm going to post a link for everyone to listen to it later then we will see who's strong haha :)

Posted · Report post

I'm going to post a link for everyone to listen to it later then we will see who's strong haha :)

People, choose your side !!!  :lol:  :lol:

Posted · Report post

We can do this Twinette! Together we are strong :D

twinette likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

The making of Don't Forget Who You Are :

http://youtu.be/VhPAlMSGGI0

Edited by MrBushido
pascale, Inhaler and Boris-GuitarHero like this

Posted · Report post

Review

SIC

Review: Miles Kane – Don’t Forget Who You Are

on May 21, 2013

Miles Kane doesn’t do treading water. Whether it’s the latest line in razor-sharp keks or the next rung on the ascent to world domination, The Wirral’s own ‘Modfather’ doesn’t wait to be invited. Despite this, his second solo album ‘Don’t Forget Who You Are’ demonstrates that – artistically and ideologically at least – he ploughs on with one eye still firmly fixed on the past.

If it is true that one makes their own luck, then Kane is certainly a beneficiary of his own opportunistic streak. Having cut his creative teeth as frontman with The Rascals, his burgeoning kinship with head-Monkey Alex Turner saw him appointed associate string-puller in The Last Shadow Puppets. Profile duly established, he embarked on a solo career in 2009, releasing promising debut Colour Of The Trap two years later. Fresh from his stint on this year’s NME Awards Tour, he is shortly to release an album (produced by ex-Lightning Seed Ian Broudie) that Kane himself has described as both candid and accessible (two words always gratefully received by us reviewers).

It kicks-off with the thumping ‘Taking Over’, replete with reassuringly nostalgic glam-rock off-strokes which settle into driving guitars and a euphoric chorus as Kane proclaims “tears will flow/but we’ll never know/till we try”. The title track – and recent single – is Kane’s mission statement; focus on your purpose in life, trust your instincts and don’t be distracted, set to smart T-Rex riffery and walking bassline. The choruses fair stomp along to a la-la-la singalong and Ragtime keyboards.

‘Better Than That’ is similarly up-tempo; Kane intentionally set-out to make an in-yer-face record and has divulged that solo debut single ‘Inhaler’ was the template. Yet he resists the temptation to keep his foot flat to the floor and provides some shade with ‘Out Of Control’. Unashamedly soppy, Kane sings of names carved in stone and places in hearts to call home, accompanied by sweeping strings and bridges that Brunel would have killed for.

‘Bomb Shells‘ is a hybrid of revving guitars and melancholic chord changes which, in my world at least, would be borne of Pete Townsend and Jarvis Cocker spending an afternoon on JDs and peppermint tea chasers before getting jiggy. ‘You’re Gonna Get It’ is a pounding stadium rocker that was co-written with Paul Weller, who also performed it with Kane on that aforementioned NME tour. Weller’s legacy endures further on ‘What Condition Am I In?’, for which he gifts Kane the strutting rhythm from The Jam’s ‘Start’. Sandwiched between these two is the hazy acoustic lollop of ‘Fire In My Heart’, adorned with country-tinged piano and the sort of drawling, world-weary vowels which are evidently not the sole preserve of Jake Bugg.

‘Give Up’ was released as a single back in February and plays as a parting shot to an ex-girlfriend (“You always get what you want/just by strutting your stuff “). Closer ‘Darkness In Our Hearts’ is Kane’s own take on Strokes-inspired NYC punk, eventually spiralling out of control in a swirl of maniacal freneticism as Kane screams “Gotta be ready for it”.

To describe ‘Don’t Forget Who You Are’ as an interesting record is not to damn it with faint praise. Too much contemporary song writing is lazy composition-by-numbers. Mile Kane is trying stuff; the arrangements are imaginative, the styles diverse and there is very little to pick fault with. These eleven tracks (there are three additional ones on the ‘deluxe’ version) constitute a solid piece of work yet, conversely, there is a lean economy to it – none of the intros outstay their welcome and not a single track on the album threatens four minutes. In this respect, it neatly symbolises the clarity of purpose which forms the theme of the record. Lyrically too, there is much reference to keeping on the move, though often burdened with an accompanying trepidation typical of venturing into uncharted territory.

Kane himself has described ‘Don’t Forget Who You Are’ as a confident recording, believing not only that his previous work has been a means to this particular end, but that he recorded it with a conviction perhaps lacking in his prior solo output. Kane has admitted to being a bit of a worrier in the past, but when he talks of Rod Stewart’s autobiography encouraging him to embrace fame and its rewards, you know that he now possesses a level of self-assurance which shines through on this album and which should stand him in good stead for the ascent which is sure to follow, having bagged prominent slots at T In The Park and Glastonbury this summer.

Kane is currently touring to promote the album and you should get yourself along. A word of warning though; if he performs ‘Tonight’ and tells you “I’ll meet you/round the corner/in the cold midnight hour”, make sure you show up. Best bring your A-game too, ‘cos Miles Kane will be ready for you.

‘Don’t Forget Who You Are’ is released on 3rd June on Columbia Records.

Words: Mark Scott

http://candidonline.com/review-miles-kane-dont-forget-who-you-are/

Posted · Report post

hope that wasn't already posted 

Boris-GuitarHero and pascale like this

Posted · Report post

Thanks, nice video !

Posted · Report post

If you are impatient (like me), you can hear the entire album the whole week on the NME website ! :)

Posted · Report post

Anyone having any luck ripping the album?
I managed to do First Of My Kind, and some other stuff off NME before, but I can't seem to do this one!

Album sounding great so far!

Posted · Report post

Anyone having any luck ripping the album?

I managed to do First Of My Kind, and some other stuff off NME before, but I can't seem to do this one!

Album sounding great so far!

you just need something that records whatever you are listening to. it's out this time next week so no point in my eyes though.

Posted · Report post

you just need something that records whatever you are listening to. it's out this time next week so no point in my eyes though.

I've tried JDownloader, Replay Media Catcher and Offliberty, but none of them work :(

I just want it so I can listen to it on my way to work all week on my iPod! :D

Posted · Report post

I've tried JDownloader, Replay Media Catcher and Offliberty, but none of them work :(

I just want it so I can listen to it on my way to work all week on my iPod! :D

If you use a PC you might want to look into Audacity or if you a Mac Audio Hijack

Posted (edited) · Report post

FULL ALBUM ON YOUTUBE!

Edited by BetYouLookGood

Posted · Report post

I knew that wouldn't take long the album will be floating around to download before you know it.

Marine280395 likes this

Posted · Report post

Mediafire Link:

EDIT: Link removed. 

Posted · Report post

Sorry we can't have copyright material available to download via this forum.

Have removed the mediafire link.

:)

Posted · Report post

Ok, now that there's the full album online, i don't know if i'm going to be strong  :lol:  :lol:

i didn't want to be frustrated with only a trailer, but a full album it's not the same...... :D

Tonight i listen the new James Skelly's album, but maybe tomorrow i'm going to listen Miles..... ^_^ I'm so weak  :p :P

kingham4 and Inhaler like this